As rice cookers are becoming more popular in the kitchen, many people want to know if rice cooker pots can be used on stovetops. Because there are some rice cooker dishes that can have a good finish with a stove top such as cooking basmati in a rice cooker. Well, I’m here today to answer that question for you!
There are some rice cookers which have a pot with an induction base so those are safe for use on stove tops. However, there are also safety precautions you should take when using rice cookers on stove tops.
So let’s find out what they are!
Safety precautions to take when using rice cookers on stovetop
It is important to take safety measures when using rice cookers on stove tops. There are rice cookers with an induction base which can be used safely on the stove top. Stainless steel inner pots can also be used on stove tops.
However, there are also rice cookers without an induction base, and these rice cookers can’t be used directly on a stove top because the rice cooker could overheat and catch fire and could also release hazardous fumes into your kitchen. To ensure safety when using rice cookers on stove tops:
The following steps will be crucial for you-
- Make sure rice cooker is set to the correct rice cooking option, this will vary depending on the rice cooker model.
- Be mindful of how much rice you are cooking. Precise rice amounts are recommended.
- Remove all lids and other attachments that may catch fire if left unattended on the stovetop for any lengthy period of time or during operations requiring high heat.
- Never leave rice cooker unattended while it’s being used on a stove top.
- Never use rice cooker pot with automatic shut off feature on stove tops as this could result in an additional safety hazard.
- Always use rice cooker pot on a solid and flat surface.
- You should only use rice cookers with induction base on the stove top
- Make sure to lift rice cooker pot off of stove when done cooking by holding onto handles
Other safety measures that you should take for every rice cooker
You should always read and follow the rice cooker’s instruction manual. This will tell you about safety precautions that you need to take when using the rice cooker, cleaning it and storing it. You should never fill a rice machine with rice or rice water above the level indicated on the rice cooker’s capacity marker, since this can cause water to spill out of the rice cooker and all over your stove. Manufacturers from Tiger had some pretty good models that can work on stove tops.
If you plan on cooking one type of rice in a rice cooker for a while, another important safety precaution is not to soak your rice in water for more than two hours before cooking. If you soak rice in water for too long, it can grow harmful bacteria and make your rice cooker or rice toxic.
Other safety measures that you should take for every rice cooker is to never place the rice cooker on a countertop where there might be steam from other appliances such as an oven. Steam could damage the outside of your rice cooker and create a safety hazard.
If you’re not going to use your rice cooker for a while, it is important that you clean the rice cooker and store it in a dry place. Never leave water or rice inside of your rice cooker when storing it as this will cause mold growth which can make people sick.
In conclusion, never let anyone near an open flame when using rice cooker pot on stove and always follow safety precautions.
Thank you for reading! I hope this blog was helpful in answering the question of whether rice cookers can be used on stovetops.
We will be back with more of these helpful contents.